Becoming an urbanette

6:00:00 PM

Hello everyone!


The past couple of months have been filled with lots of exciting events, but by far the best thing that's happened is that I started working at URBAN DECAY!

As most of you probably know, urban decay is an amazing cosmetics brand that was founded in California. It is completely cruelty free and has some of the best pigmented and most amazing products on the market.
One of our themed looks was a spotlight eye, which I created with the electric palette. Just look at that pigment pay off!! 

As a makeup fanatic you can imagine how thrilled I was to get a job as a beauty consultant (fancy title, check) in the new Debenhams in Bradford. I've been working for UD since the beginning of November and it has been an amazing experience!

Every day I get to combine my two passions: makeup, and making people happy. Some people won't ever understand the mass appeal cosmetics has and that's okay, but working in the industry I get to see day in day out what a difference a bit of makeup makes. And I'm not talking about a difference to the outside here. 
We get to do a lot of Asian bridal makeup, which is such a fun new area for me to explore! I love how glamorous and colourful some looks are.

I've realised while working so closely with the concept of 'beauty' that I have become more and more appreciative of individuality and I've realised that everyone is beautiful in their own way. I know everyone says that, but when you are working in an industry where your job is to examine someone's beauty and enhance it, you really start to appreciate that 90% of the people are really beautiful, even without makeup. So when I am giving someone a full makeover, helping them choose a new foundation or even showing them a new mascara, I'm not doing that to make them look more beautiful (because they already are)

I'm doing it to make them feel more beautiful.

When you get to work everyday and see people look in the mirror with a huge smile on their face and you can see they feel like a million bucks- that is the biggest reward you can imagine.
Doing makeovers used to scare me a lot when I first started, but over time I've realized it's not always about talent, and more about reading into your customers needs and wants.

Of course we get some customers who will never, ever be satisfied with what you do because they can do it so much better themselves/ you haven't made them look like that picture of a model on Instagram that took thee hours and has been photoshopped to death/ their cousin is an MUA and they're soooo much better than you (insert eye roll emoji), but that has definitely helped me create a much thicker skin, which is a must in this industry. 

And of course, I get to work with amazing products, try new looks and be around like-minded people every day, which is pretty amazing.
I love that I get to be creative and try something different every day

I think this job has been one of the best experiences of my life and I am so grateful to have gotten this opportunity. I get to work with an amazing team everyday and I am actually doing the job I had dreamed of doing for years!
I love my girls! Work would really not be the same without them. They're such a supportive team and we're really a little family. I also love so many of the girls on the other counters and we all have a special little bond :) 

Yay life!


XOXO,
Rowan 

You Might Also Like

0 reacties

Subscribe